There are still people taking Mitt Romney to task for not showing up at Barack Obama’s second inauguration last Monday. Several news reports say it’s the first time a losing candidate has skipped the inaugural since Michael Dukakis in 1989. I’m not a Romney fan, but the criticism is misguided, because there’s a reason every other loser since then attended — they were all still part of the federal government:
- In 1993, George HW Bush was the outgoing President of the United States.
- In 1997, Bob Dole was the outgoing Senate Majority Leader.
- In 2001, Al Gore was the outgoing Vice President of the United States.
- In 2005, John Kerry was still a United States Senator.
- In 2009, John McCain was still a United States Senator.