Here’s my conversation with Jillian Moul, co-director of “Surviving Home,” a documentary that follows four veterans over an eight-year period as they rebuild their lives after war. Among the questions I asked her:
- How did you get them to open up?
- Are they still proud they volunteered to go to war, or wish they’d never enlisted?
- Is it harder for this generation of vets to find jobs than previous ones?
- How has it been for them to deal with the VA?
- One of your subjects is a female Iraq War vet who was sexually assaulted by men in her unit — is there lots of that going on?
In honor of Veterans Day, the St. Louis International Film Festival offers a free screening of “Surviving Home” this Saturday (11/11) at 12:30pm at the Tivoli Theatre.