Comedy legend Carl Reiner returned to my show to talk about his new autobiography, “What I Forgot To Remember,” in which he shares memories he didn’t include in his two previous autobiographies.
After I opened with “The Dick Van Dyke Show” theme, Carl revealed that he’s already working on a new book about that sitcom classic, which he created. Since he brought it up, I proceeded to ask him several questions about that show, including where he got thousands of pounds of walnuts for one episode, why he wrote a part for Dick’s brother Jerry Van Dyke, and who he based his character Alan Brady on. We also discussed how Carl may hold the record for oldest person to publish a book and for the longest career in television — eclipsing Betty White’s entry in the Guinness Book! Other topics included the awkward honeymoon apartment he and wife Estelle shared with two other couples, and David Letterman’s impending retirement.
Previously on Harris Online…
- My conversation with Carl Reiner about his book “I Just Remembered” (5/19/14)
- My conversation with Carl Reiner about his previous memoir, “I Remember Me” (2/9/13)
- My conversation with Carl Reiner about “Ocean’s Thirteen” (6/07)
- My conversation with Carl Reiner about “The Dick Van Dyke Show” (5/04)
- My conversation with Carl Reiner about “Ocean’s Eleven” and Johnny Carson (4/25/03)
- My conversation with Vince Waldron, author of “The Official Dick Van Dyke Show Book” (9/29/11)